Re: Spreadsheet translation

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: Spreadsheet translation
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2020 23:26:41 +0100

OK Allen,

Windhorn, Allen E [ACIM/LSA/MKT] wrote:
Philip,

-----Original Message-----
From: Help-octave On Behalf Of  PhilipNienhuis

Did you read the spreadsheet with option 'struct ("formulas_as_text", 1)' ?

Yes.

If yes, please try another spreadsheet I/O "interface". It looks to me like
you have no additional SW installed so you fall back to the OCT interface.
That hasn't received much testing with formula output, so I'm not very
surprised that large parts of the spreadsheet cell XML are left in place.

Yes, I believe I am using the OCT interface, it was supposed to be best for
Windows.

? who says so?
OCT is good enough, but Excel itself ("COM" interface) is by far the fastest. But in case of COM errors you're left with zombie Excel invocations that may keep a hold on you spreadsheet file (kill them off in Task Manager), in case of OCT errors you may merely have leaked file handles.

...Chances are that with additional spreadsheet I/O SW like Apache POI, or,
if you are on Windows, just the OF windows package and MS-Excel, you'd
able to extract the formulae in a format more suitable for what you want to
achieve.

I tried the COM interface:

options.formulas_as_text = 1;

... then you need to convey "options" as an argument to xls2oct. But apparently you did.

xlh = xlsopen('GENDH_Dissection01.xlsm', 0, 'COM'); % Open read only Octave complains that Java is installed but unusable

Yeah that's a known one. Do you have 64-bit Octave installed (I guess so)? Octave & Java bit widths should match.

... OK, it complained, but when I looked, it still produced the correct
formulas, so that's sorted for the time being... I would like to know how
to make Java work though, in case I need it for something else.

I don't know what the "OF windows package" is -- is it different from COM?

It's the same (Octave-forge windows package supplies ActiveX / COM functionality).

And how would I find out more about the other Java packages (assuming I
could get any to work with our Java installation)?

E.g., on the wiki (https://wiki.octave.org/IO_package).

There's a READ-XLS.htm file in the doc/ subdirectory of the io package but I think the wiki is a bit clearer. If you have the required Java .jar files together in some subdirectory, you can do:

chk_spreadsheet_support ('/full/path/to/that/subdirectory')
  ## followed by
javaclasspath
  ## to see which Java class libs are loaded

and it that path happens to be in your %USERPROFILE% (e.g.,
C:\user\<your_login_name>\Java)
that will even happen automagically when loading the io package.

Philip