RE: Spreadsheet translation

From: Windhorn, Allen E [ACIM/LSA/MKT]
Subject: RE: Spreadsheet translation
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2020 22:55:51 +0000

Philip et al,

The Wiki: "OCT offers read support for OOXML files (.xlsx) only, but it is by
far
the fastest read option; faster than Excel itself."  and  "This is the new
impressive and fast ... interface which presently supports .xlsx, .ods and
.gnumeric files."

I see now that it doesn't list the OCT interface as being able to read the
formulas -- it did read about 90% of them though, and probably would have
done better on a cleaner spreadsheet.

> > Octave complains that Java is installed but unusable
>
> Yeah that's a known one. Do you have 64-bit Octave installed (I guess
> so)? Octave & Java bit widths should match.

Yes, 64-bit Octave, and 32-bit Java, so presumably incompatible, though
the Wiki implies it doesn't matter: "Generally, if you use a Java-based
interface for spreadsheet I/O, it doesn't matter much whether you use
Octave 32-bit or Octave 64-bit."   But I don't think I can install 64-bit Java
without admin rights.

> > And how would I find out more about the other Java packages (assuming I
> > could get any to work with our Java installation)?
>
> E.g., on the wiki (https://wiki.octave.org/IO_package).

It doesn't say where to obtain this code, or how to install it.  I will try
Google
again.  Thanks for your help -- I will post code somewhere if I get it working.

Regards,
Allen