Re: Octave should create a forum

From: Benson Muite
Subject: Re: Octave should create a forum
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2019 08:52:40 +0300

On 12/31/19 7:18 AM, Andrew Janke wrote:

On 12/30/19 7:02 PM, Mike Miller wrote:
For my part, I often do prefer modern forums like Discourse to mailing
lists.

It is worth pointing out that this is a mailing list, not a forum. Nabble
is not the host of this mailing list, it merely archives it and provides a
user interface for those not wanting to use email to interact with the
group.
Right, nabble is just a shoddy front end for the mailing lists, it's
preferable to use the mailing lists directly.

Forums can be useful. Seems half the projects I’m with use one and half use
the other. Other than easier code and attachment hosting is the main forum
plus. Less flexible access is a minus.  And I’m curious, is there a
FSF-compliant forum out there worth using?
Discourse is the obvious best choice. The FSF uses it for its own
members forum, as do many other free software projects.
FWIW, I've had decent luck using Discourse with the Mac Homebrew
project. I dunno if it'd replace much of the Octave mailing lists, but
it would be a nice alternative/complement to the freenode #octave IRC
channel, where the discussion is ephemeral, and askers often don't stick
around long enough to hear the answer to their question. On Discourse,
the question could sit around, and then askers would be notified when
there's activity on it.
Bridges (such as Matterbridge - https://github.com/42wim/matterbridge) between IRC and other chat clients (Matrix, Mattermost, Zulip etc) can also help with history. Notification mechanisms are very helpful.

Cheers,
Andrew