Re: Octave, Symbolic, Sympy issue

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Octave, Symbolic, Sympy issue
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2019 00:00:32 -0800

On Tue, Nov 19, 2019 at 20:38:14 -0800, Colin Macdonald wrote:
> On 2019-11-19 6:01 p.m., Gabriel Schneck wrote:
> > To save my life I can not get the symbolic package to work in Octave
> > because it is dependent on Sympy.  When I run terminal on my Mac it
> > shows that I have python and sympy. However, when I try to run a "sym x"
> > I get "Python cannot import SymPy: have you installed SymPy?"  I'm
> > confused.  I included some information below.
>
> Hmmmm, that certainly looks like you do not have SymPy installed.
>
> At your terminal, can you try:
>
> $ python
>
> $ python2

Also, are you able to verify that the 'python2' or 'python3' that you
get when you run it from a terminal is the same as the one that Octave
tries to run?

Can you try something like 'which python3' in a terminal, and compare it
with 'system "which python3"' in Octave?

As I understand it, you might easily have versions of Python installed
with Homebrew and with pyenv, for example, and the one that Octave finds
is not the same as the one you use in a terminal.

--
mike