Octave, Symbolic, Sympy issue

From: Gabriel Schneck
Subject: Octave, Symbolic, Sympy issue
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2019 21:01:40 -0500

To save my life I can not get the symbolic package to work in Octave because it is dependent on Sympy.  When I run terminal on my Mac it shows that I have python and sympy. However, when I try to run a "sym x" I get "Python cannot import SymPy: have you installed SymPy?"  I'm confused.  I included some information below.

Thanks for the help.

Gabriel

>> pkg load symbolic
>> sym x
Symbolic pkg v2.8.0: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'sympy'
error: Python cannot import SymPy: have you installed SymPy?
    Try "sympref diagnose" for more information.
error: called from
    assert_have_python_and_sympy at line 123 column 7
    python_ipc_popen2 at line 79 column 5
    python_ipc_driver at line 59 column 13
    python_cmd at line 163 column 9
    sym at line 452 column 9

>> sympref diagnose

Symbolic package diagnostics
============================

Python and SymPy are needed for most features of the Symbolic package.

The Python interpreter is currently: "python3".

Computers may have more than one Python interpreter installed.  If you
need to, you can select a different one using the PYTHON environment
variable (see "help sympref").  For example, to use Python 3, try
    setenv PYTHON python3
    sympref reset

Attempting to run python3 -c "print(\"Python says hello\")"

status = 0
output = Python says hello

Good, Python ran correctly.

Python version
--------------

Let's check what version of Python we are calling...

Attempting to run python3 -c "import sys; print(sys.version)"

status = 0
output = 3.7.1 (default, Feb  5 2019, 15:14:49)
[Clang 8.0.0 (clang-800.0.42.1)]

SymPy Python Library
--------------------

SymPy is a Python library used by Symbolic for almost all features.

Attempting to run python3 -c "import sympy; print(sympy.__version__)"

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'sympy'
status =  1
output =

Unfortunately status was non-zero: probably Python cannot import sympy.

  * Is there an error message above?

  * Do you have SymPy installed?  If not, please try to install it and
    try again.

  * If you do have SymPy installed, maybe it's installed for a different
    Python interpreter than the one we found?  Please try "setenv" as
    described above to change your python interpreter.
>> setenv PYTHON python2
>> sym x
Symbolic pkg v2.8.0: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
ImportError: No module named sympy