Re: categorical bar graph

From: Pantxo
Subject: Re: categorical bar graph
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2019 08:43:58 -0500 (CDT)

BGreen wrote
> On Mon, Oct 28, 2019 at 1:15 AM Raag Saluja <

> saluja.raag@

> > wrote:
>
>> Hi! I have to make a bar graph and I want to change the x values to
>> names.
>> I tried the Matlab tutorial as I couldn't find that in octave:
>>
>> x = categorical ({'small', 'medium', 'large', 'extra large')};
>> x= reordercats (x, {'small', 'medium', 'large', 'extralarge');
>> y = [5 20 77 19]
>> bar(x,y)
>>
>> However, I got an error message. PFA the screenshot. Can you please help?
>>
>> Thank you and regards,
>>
>> Raag Saluja
>> Research Scholar
>> Department of Zoology
>> Faculty of Science
>> Dayalbagh Educational Institute
>> Dayalbagh
>> Agra
>> INDIA
>>

> Is this what you wanted? I'm not familiar with categorical in MATLAB.
>
> y = [5 20 77 19];
> bar(y);
> set(gca,"xticklabel",{'small', 'medium', 'large', 'extra large'});
>
> The various properties each object have account for most of Octave's
> flexibility. Sometimes, however, it can be hard to know where to look. In
> this case, I modified the axes directly - I did not set labels through the
> bar function. Here are the axes properties
> <https://octave.org/doc/v4.2.0/Axes-Properties.html> I just used.

Don't know if it is intensional, but you are providing a link to the doc for
Octave 4.2. The correct web link for the current version, 5.1, is
https://octave.org/doc/interpreter/Axes-Properties.html#Axes-Properties

Now if you are using Octave 5.1 with its GUI, then a more ecological
approach (no web, no server request) is to run the following at the prompt
which should open the page in the doc browser

doc "axes properties"

Pantxo