Re: New install, Java setup

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: Re: New install, Java setup
Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2019 14:05:07 -0500 (CDT)

Brenden Towey wrote
> On 10/3/2019 7:09 AM, PhilipNienhuis wrote:
>> Brenden,
> <snip>
>> OK, next step:
>> What do he following commands say?
>>
>> __octave_config_info__.build_features.JAVA
>>
>> system ("java --version")
>>
>> javaObject ("java.lang.Double", 5.3)
>
> Thanks Philip, I appreciate you sticking with this.  The first two give
> an answer and the last just errors out.
>
>  >> __octave_config_info__.build_features.JAVA
> ans = 1

So Octave was built with Java support.

>  >> system("java -version")
> java version "1.8.0_131"
> Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.131-b11, mixed mode)
> ans = 0

So Java works and it is a 64 bit Java.
Question then is, is octave itself 64-bit...

If you start up Octave you'll see some messages, esp. something like:

GNU Octave Version: 5.1.0 (hg id: d05d6eebde10)
GNU Octave License: GNU General Public License
Operating System: MINGW32_NT-6.1 Windows 7 Service Pack 1 x86_64

So what Octave mention here, also x64-86? or

What does  "ver" in the terminal say?

And what does the Octave command

__octave_config_info__.build_environment.CC

tell you?

>  >> javaObject ("java.lang.Double", 5.3)
> error: javaObject: could not find library or dependencies: C:\Program
> Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_131/jvm.dll
>  >>

> I can manually verify that there's no "jvm.dll" in the JRE/bin
> subdirectory.  There is a "java.dll" however, maybe recent releases have
> switched names?  Also the path that Octave uses seems messed up, there
> should be a "/bin" at the end.

Yeah Octave looks in the wrong place.
E.g. on my Windows 7 system I have the jvm.dll in
C:\Program Files\Java\jre-10.0.2\bin\server\
(64-bit Java)

Do you have a JAVA_HOME setting in your environment? (that could screw up
things.)
What does the Octave command

getenv ("JAVA_HOME")

return?

> (So no top posting on this list?  That's different from most other lists
> I'm on.  What about trimming quoted messages?  I personally don't need
> to see every single message quoted in-line in an email.)

It's the habit ("netiquette") here and on many many other mailing lists.
Just adapt to it, people expect it.
Also on Stackoverflow you'll see answers below the question, isn't it?
MS-Outlook was the mailing program that spoiled many unwary users into top
posting and at my work (an almost purely Windows-only environment) I also
top-post (usually) as my colleagues expect it.

I just adapt to the local habits.

Trimming is OK.

Philip