Re: New install, Java setup

From: Brenden Towey
Subject: Re: New install, Java setup
Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2019 18:10:46 -0700

On 10/6/2019 12:05 PM, PhilipNienhuis wrote:
If you start up Octave you'll see some messages, esp. something like:

GNU Octave Version: 5.1.0 (hg id: d05d6eebde10)
GNU Octave License: GNU General Public License
Operating System: MINGW32_NT-6.1 Windows 7 Service Pack 1 x86_64

So what Octave mention here, also x64-86? or

Hi Philip, again thanks for sticking with this.

At start-up the terminal says:
========================
GNU Octave, version 5.1.0
Copyright (C) 2019 John W. Eaton and others.
This is free software; see the source code for copying conditions.
There is ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or
FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  For details, type 'warranty'.

Octave was configured for "x86_64-w64-mingw32".
========================
Which looks like 64 bit to me.

What does  "ver" in the terminal say?

"ver" gives 5.1.0 just as above, then a BIG dump of each loaded package.  Do you need the full list?

And what does the Octave command

__octave_config_info__.build_environment.CC

tell you?

>> __octave_config_info__.build_environment.CC
ans = x86_64-w64-mingw32-gcc

It's got me stumped, at least.  Right now I'm focused more on the discrepancies below, where Octave is apparently looking for "jvm.dll" in the path "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_131/jvm.dll" but the correct path is "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_131\jre\bin\server\jvm.dll"

It seems like if I could correct that one path variable it might start working.

More answers below on getenv, yes I have a JAVA_HOME set.

  >> javaObject ("java.lang.Double", 5.3)
error: javaObject: could not find library or dependencies: C:\Program
Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_131/jvm.dll

I can manually verify that there's no "jvm.dll" in the JRE/bin
subdirectory.  There is a "java.dll" however, maybe recent releases have
switched names?  Also the path that Octave uses seems messed up, there
should be a "/bin" at the end.
Yeah Octave looks in the wrong place.
E.g. on my Windows 7 system I have the jvm.dll in
C:\Program Files\Java\jre-10.0.2\bin\server\
(64-bit Java)

Do you have a JAVA_HOME setting in your environment? (that could screw up
things.)
What does the Octave command

getenv ("JAVA_HOME")

return?

Yes, definitely this is set.  Tomcat (another program I run on my workstation) requires it  It's:

>> getenv ("JAVA_HOME")
ans = C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_131

Which is the correct value for it to be set to.  Many programs and documentation, including documentation directly from Oracle, require JAVA_HOME to be set to the root of the JDK to be correct.

(So no top posting on this list?  That's different from most other lists
I'm on.  What about trimming quoted messages?  I personally don't need
to see every single message quoted in-line in an email.)
It's the habit ("netiquette") here and on many many other mailing lists.

I just adapt to the local habits.

It's fine I was just a little surprised.  Most (actually all) other lists I'm top post regularly.  No worries I will adapt!

B.