Re: Octave on Public Cloud

From: Kai Torben Ohlhus
Subject: Re: Octave on Public Cloud
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2019 21:15:40 +0100

On Thu, Mar 21, 2019 at 5:55 PM sshah <address@hidden> wrote:
I have not found much on Octave Wiki about building, installing and using
Octave on public clouds like Amazon AWS.  Is there interest in adding such
information?

If I get you right, you have such information and ask for interest to share your knowledge in the wiki?  Then yes, feel free to create a wiki account (in case you don't already have one) and new pages about each topic, whatever you have to share.  So many buzzwords, I am always interested about make more of Octave ;-)

Cases of potential interest are:
1)  Allowing occasional users  remote access to working examples / sessions
in octave.

This item, neglecting performance, is covered by several easy to google online services like:

https://rextester.com/l/octave_online_compiler (v. 4.0.0)
https://octave-online.net/ (v. 4.2.1)
http://www.compileonline.com/execute_matlab_online.php (v. 4.2.1)
https://www.jdoodle.com/execute-octave-matlab-online (v. 4.0.0, 4.2.0, 4.4.0)

While many linux distributions have old versions octave in their repos, the
latest released versions of Octave are not available.

Does your distribution support flatpack https://flathub.org/apps/details/org.octave.Octave ? If you are not using ancient distributions it usually should have support for flatpack.

Anyways, the Amazon AWS/cloud and high-performance topic would be very interesting.

Best,
Kai