Re: uigetfile error

From: Kai Torben Ohlhus
Subject: Re: uigetfile error
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2019 14:44:28 +0100

On Thu, Mar 7, 2019 at 7:36 AM khalil2535 <address@hidden> wrote:
hello , is it my problem or a bug in uigetfile()

uigetfile() returns my work path not the path for the file i choose.

documentation says about uigetfile() : Open a GUI dialog for selecting a
file and return the filename fname, the path to this file fpath, and the
filter index fltidx.

Octave version 5.1.0

>> [filename, folder] = uigetfile();

>> folder
folder = /home/khalil2535/Octave/HomeWork's/Homework1/

>> % selected file : /home/khalil2535/Octave/Materials/images/cameraman.tif
>> % my work path /home/khalil2535/Octave/HomeWork's/Homework1/

On Linux (openSUSE 15.0) using Octave 5.1.0 I cannot reproduce your error. I created both of your paths with a dummy "cameraman.tif":

>> [filename, folder] = uigetfile()
filename = cameraman.tif
folder = /home/khalil2535/Octave/Materials/images/

I think your complaint is, that the current working path is returned instead of the "cameraman.tif" path.  Can you ensure to not have any functions, files, or variables named "folder", or "filename", run a clean Octave session at best.

Furthermore which distribution of Linux do you use and do you run for example a FlatPack installation, or the native one from your distribution?

Best,
Kai