installing the fits package

From: doug brenner
Subject: installing the fits package
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2019 18:09:09 -0500

The fits packages is an external page for read and writing fits files.  When I try to install it, I get a lengthy error message. (attached) I think it would be sufficient if someone could tell me how to modified the PKG_CONFIG_PATH and where to put the .h files.
I assume the answer to the latter is here: /Volumes/Macintosh HD/Applications/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/usr/include and I would use the unix command mv or cp from the terminal. I’m running on a MAC.
Thanks