How to execute exe files and store returned values?

From: r1f1
Subject: How to execute exe files and store returned values?
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2018 05:33:27 -0600 (CST)

I'm have a program write in c++ and as it says in the title I want to call
this program from octave and store the values that I pass. I'm newbie with
octave and doing a general search I found the command: system and some
others in gnu documentaion 36.5 Controlling Subprocesses, but they didn't
works for me or I don't understand how they works.