Re: unhelpful CLI

From: whiffee
Subject: Re: unhelpful CLI
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2018 11:37:21 -0600 (CST)

Thanks for kind replies. The issue raised is minor.

In my pique of frustration, I did not ask the question
I wanted to ask. The example expression

ezplot('x^2*sin(x+y^2)+y^2*exp(x+y)+5*cos(x^2+y)' ,[-10 10])

can be rendered with either FLTK or Qt, but the output
does not have the detail of the same expression plotted in
Matlab. By cookbooking in gnuplot the  script

reset
set terminal pngcairo
set output 'implicit.png'
set contour
set cntrparam levels discrete 0
set view map
unset surface
unset key
set isosamples 500,500
set xrange [-10:10]
set yrange [-10:10]
splot x**2*sin(x+y**2)+y**2*exp(x+y)+5*cos(x**2+y)

(which I have no idea how to call from Octave)
approximates the detail of the Matlab plot. In Octave,
is it possible to get better detail out of the 'later'
toolkits by adding a sampling switch of some kind?

Gary Bollenbach

Octave 4.2.2 on Mint19, gnuplot 5.2
(I don't have Matlab, I just saw the plot in a book.)