Re: support for offscreen rendering with OSMesa was unavailable

From: Pantxo
Subject: Re: support for offscreen rendering with OSMesa was unavailable
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2018 09:18:32 -0500 (CDT)

Francesco Potortì wrote
> Out of the blue, without any apparent reason, my script stopped working
> with this error:
>
> error: __osmesa_print__: support for offscreen rendering with OSMesa was
> unavailable or disabled when Octave was built
> error: called from
>     __opengl_print__ at line 161 column 7
>     print at line 561 column 14
>
> This is Octave 4.4.0 on Debian testing
>
> Before starting to investigate, is there anything obvious or well known
> that I'm missing?
>
> --
> Francesco Potortì (ricercatore)        Voice:  +39.050.621.3058
> ISTI - Area della ricerca CNR          Mobile: +39.348.8283.107
> via G. Moruzzi 1, I-56124 Pisa         Skype:  wnlabisti
> (entrance 20, 1st floor, room C71)     Web:    http://fly.isti.cnr.it

Hi,

It looks like the debian Octave package does not include OSMesa, which is
not very surprising since OSMesa does not play very well (at all?) with the
future architecture of OpenGL on linux (libglvnd). Note also that direct
support of OSMesa for offscreen printing has recently been removed from
Octave sources (future Octave 5) and will probably be provided by an
external Octave Forge package in the future.

In any event, my guess is that the debian package includes the Qt toolkit
which in turn is supposed to support offscreen rendering without the use of
OSMesa. Why not switch to the Qt toolkit?

Pantxo

TODO: This page has not been updated : http://wiki.octave.org/OSMesa