No information on configuration?

From: Helmut Weidner-Kim
Subject: No information on configuration?
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2018 12:53:22 +0200

Hello,

I have the German localized version of GNU octave 4.4.0 running under Linux.
This means that I can cite GUI elements only in German and then try to re-
translate them into English - the outcome may not always be the original
wording.

After starting octave I tried to configure octave, so I called "Bearbeiten/
Einstellungen" (edit/options). In the tab "Editor" (editor) I found the
settings
        "String, der zum Auskommentieren des ausgewählten Texts benutzt wird"
        (string used to comment out the selected [marked?] text)"
and
        "Strings, die beim Entfernen von Kommentaren berücksichtigt werden"
        (strings that are considered (?) at removal of comments)
Especially the last description is so vague that I cannot figure out what will
be changed if I change that option. Therefore, my translation is a rude guess.

So I looked into help and found _nothing_ on octave configuration (apart from
things to be set at compilation time, which is quite another topic), and
looking for "settings" or "options" or even "gui" didn't help either. If any
documentation on octave configuration exists, it should be incorporated into
the manual. Or at least mentioned in
        https://wiki.octave.org/Main_Page#Getting_help

Another question: If I chose an external editor like kate, will GNU octave
make any attempts to transfer some settings in the editor tab to the kate
session opened, or will then everything in that tab (except the editor
invocation line, of course) have no effect at all?

        Helmut
--
Spruch des Jahres:
Ich will dem Durstigen geben aus der Quelle des lebendigen Wassers umsonst.