Re: No information on configuration?

From: siko1056
Subject: Re: No information on configuration?
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2018 08:48:45 -0700 (MST)

Helmut Weidner-Kim wrote
> Hello,
>
> I have the German localized version of GNU octave 4.4.0 running under
> Linux.
> This means that I can cite GUI elements only in German and then try to re-
> translate them into English - the outcome may not always be the original
> wording.
>
> After starting octave I tried to configure octave, so I called
> "Bearbeiten/
> Einstellungen" (edit/options). In the tab "Editor" (editor) I found the
> settings
>       "String, der zum Auskommentieren des ausgewählten Texts benutzt wird"
>       (string used to comment out the selected [marked?] text)"
> and
>       "Strings, die beim Entfernen von Kommentaren berücksichtigt werden"
>       (strings that are considered (?) at removal of comments)
> Especially the last description is so vague that I cannot figure out what
> will
> be changed if I change that option. Therefore, my translation is a rude
> guess.
>
> So I looked into help and found _nothing_ on octave configuration (apart
> from
> things to be set at compilation time, which is quite another topic), and
> looking for "settings" or "options" or even "gui" didn't help either. If
> any
> documentation on octave configuration exists, it should be incorporated
> into
> the manual. Or at least mentioned in
>       https://wiki.octave.org/Main_Page#Getting_help
>
> Another question: If I chose an external editor like kate, will GNU octave
> make any attempts to transfer some settings in the editor tab to the kate
> session opened, or will then everything in that tab (except the editor
> invocation line, of course) have no effect at all?
>
>       Helmut
> --
> Spruch des Jahres:
> Ich will dem Durstigen geben aus der Quelle des lebendigen Wassers
> umsonst.
> (Bibel: Off 21,6)

Dear Helmut,

AFAIK, there is no verbose GUI manual yet.  Many of the settings are
hopefully self-explanatory.  If they are not, like in your case, it is good
to give us feedback and to improve the situation.

If you don't want to re-translate the GUI, you might temporarily switch it
to English and back to German afterwards (requires an Octave restart)
"Bearbeiten" -> "Einstellungen", Tab "Allgemein", then "Sprache".

Regarding your two commenting settings:

The first setting tells Octave what do do, if you select some text in the
editor and you want to comment out the affected lines (pressing CTRL + R).
If you have selected "##" for example, the respective characters will be
places at each beginning of the affected lines.

The second setting tells Octave what to do, if you select a commented
section in the editor and press CTRL+SHIFT+R (uncomment).  As Octave support
many comment types "%, #, ..." you can choose which of them Octave should
consider and which ones ignore.

Even Octave is a powerful language, it certainly has no influence on other
programs you installed, e.g. Kate ;-)

HTH,
Kai