Re: Issue with symbolic package on Octave 4.2.1 on windows 10 PC

From: anoop joshi
Subject: Re: Issue with symbolic package on Octave 4.2.1 on windows 10 PC
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2017 16:22:13 +0530

Hi Colin,

Looks like you are right about it being an issue associated with older Python 2.7 versions. I installed Python 2.7.14 and now it seems to run fine

Thanks,
Anoop

On 2017-10-04 12:58 PM, anoop joshi wrote:
Hi Colin,

For experiment 2 suggested by you, I followed the steps below:

 1. Uninstalled the existing Python 2.7 version in my PC.
 2. downloaded the file "symbolic-win-py-bundle-2.6.0.zip"
 3. started Octave, change folder to where your downloads are.
 4. typed |pkg install |"symbolic-win-py-bundle-2.6.0.zip"
 5. typed |pkg load symbolic|
 6. typed |syms x|

But then got the error "error: Cannot run the Python executable "C:\Python27\python.exe"
     Python and SymPy are needed for most Symbolic features.
     Is Python installed?  Is your "path" configured correctly?".

Is there some other step here?

Hmmm, that is using your system python instead of the bundled one.  Not
sure why!  I guess the environment variable (or equivalent on Windows) is still set to "C:\Python27\python.exe")?
Its Windows, did you reboot several times between the various steps? (excuse sarcasm).  Specifically after uninstalling Python.

I thought the bundled package prefers its own Python to the system one but I might be wrong about that.

After that I tried installing Python 3.63. CMD prompt shows the path is configured ok, but still syms x doesn't run

And the error is?

Given that we think the problem might be that your Python 2.7 is too old, is there a more recent Python 2.7 installer for your system (like 2.7.9 for example).  From my point of view, this is the most important thing to try.

--
Anoop Joshi Veliyath
Senior Design Engineer