Re: Issue with symbolic package on Octave 4.2.1 on windows 10 PC

From: anoop joshi
Subject: Re: Issue with symbolic package on Octave 4.2.1 on windows 10 PC
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2017 12:52:24 +0530

Hi Colin,

Thanks for the reply. I've been using the GUI itself

Thanks,
Anoop

On 2017-10-01 02:34 AM, Nicholas Jankowski wrote:
Hmm.. I'm just a user in this case and am not sure what the issue is. I have octave 4.2.1 running on win10. Have python 3.6.2 and sympy installed, then installed symbolic package. All works fine. Colin, is python2 okay?

Python 2 should be fine.

Anoop: can use test within the Octave GUI?  How are you starting Octave?  I remember some strange issues from a long time ago, something about running octave.exe instead of using octave.bat.

- - - - - - - -

Based on your detailed output (thanks!), python appears to be working correctly.  It looks like some kind of newline problem...  Considering the output before the error message:

A =
{
  [1,1] =
Communication established.

  [1,2] =
1.1.1

  [1,3] =
2.7 (r27:82525, Jul  4 2010, 07:43:08) [MSC v.1500 64 bit (AMD64)]

}

Those are as they should be, except it looks like each string has a extraneous newline appended.  The "out" variable looks wrong too: on my system it has things like "<f>Communication established.</f>" but on Anoop's machine:

<item>
<f>
1003
</f>
<f>
Communication established.
</f>
</item>

My first reaction is no one has tested the combination of Windows and Python2.  But that seems unlikely; the wiki [1] explicitly mentions Python 2.

https://github.com/cbm755/octsympy/wiki/Notes-on-Windows-installation

best,
Colin

--