Re: FEAtool Multiphysics Utilization Errors

From: Nicholas Jankowski
Subject: Re: FEAtool Multiphysics Utilization Errors
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2017 14:59:48 -0400

On Fri, Jul 7, 2017 at 11:51 AM, Meet Patel <address@hidden> wrote:
1) The tool is a GUI made for matlab/octave by FEAtool Multiphysics.

2) I am not sure of the initial version of Octave it was made to run under but I am currently using version 4.2.1 of Octave.

3) The GUI helps simulate heat transfer through finite element analysis. The errors I pasted above are resulting when I try to utilize the geometry module of the application. It allows me to draw, for example, a rectangle when I press the "rect" button on the geometry module and after I have finished drawing, when I attempt to edit the properties such as heat capacity and etc of the drawn figure, it produces those errors when I double click the rectangle. Also, when initially opening the application through Octave, the application opens with lag and glitches with blacked out content. I am only able to fix the blacked out content when I maximize the size of the window. Furthermore, whenever the application needs to open a new pop-up window for certain functions, the pop-up windows do not "appear" in the front but rather are hidden in the background and can only be accessed from the windows taskbar at the bottom of the desktop screen.

Do you have any explanations for why this is happening?
Thanks!

Regards,
Meet Patel

Please keep the help list copied on any replies. Also, the convention of this list is to 'bottom post' replies to keep the thread readable. (http://www.idallen.com/topposting.html)

1 - Then without any personal access to the code, I have to agree with Rodolfo that your first real inquiry should be to FEAtool.Their FAQ suggest that the software is " a fully integrated Matlab and Octave computer simulation software suite for modeling partial differential equations".  It is entirely possible that something they did is no longer compatible with Octave 4.2.1.   At the bottom of the FAQ it says:

I think I have found a bug in FEATool, what should I do?

Please send a bug report with step by step instructions how to reproduce the error to address@hidden.

Sounds like good advice.

2 - This is probably very important. they claim the gui will work with octave 4.0, but you are obviously seeing otherwise.

3 - I have no way of troubleshooting their software. It appears they make GUI function calls that are not working as intended. Without seeing their code, we cannot guess whether they implemented it wrong, there was a recent Octave change that broke some function, or if there's actually an Octave bug.  It would probably be useful for them to reach out to the Octave developers. You may want to suggest this.

Nick J.