From: fritz
Subject: Loading Files with mixed text and numbers
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2017 14:38:01 -0400

I did this all the time with Matlab--loaded files with the very common form of records like this:
2017/07/07,   13:59:59,   022.2,   12.69

I found the matlab "textscan" absurdly complicated for this simple task, generating nested table arrays with lots of associated book keeping of braces, brackets etc. So I finally used matlab "readtable" which worked fine.

When I tried this in Octave it became apparent that the readtable function is not implemented. Using csvread leads me to invalid results (it apparently is for numbers and does not support the date strings).

So - short or writing loops does Octave implement something similar to readtable or some simple way to perform this task--loading comma separated strings into a regular array?

Thanks
Fritz