Which is the best way to parallelize a loop in octave

From: dariodematties
Subject: Which is the best way to parallelize a loop in octave
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2017 05:37:40 -0700 (PDT)

Hello People,

I need to use a third party function in a for loop in Octave.
That is, I cannot apply vectorized or element wise operations with this
function.
The problem is the huge slowness of the execution.
I think there are two possible solutions to my problem.
Option one: I could modify the function in order to execute it in a
vectorized way (not a viable option).
Option two: I could parallelize the for loop in Octave.
Regarding last option, there are two packages in Octave for parallel
computation.
(mpi and parallel)
Taking into account that I am on a Ubuntu 14.04 desktop system in a real
dual processor (or four virtual):
Which is the best option you advise to me?
Being in a shared memory system, I am used to use openmp in c++, which works
with light threads very well. I have never used mpi, but I understand that
this uses processes, which is not a very good option in a shared memory
system, is it?
Is there a good way to implement openmp in Octave?

Thanks