Re: sending messages to an already-running instance of octave

From: Dan Hitt
Subject: Re: sending messages to an already-running instance of octave
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2017 11:27:27 -0700

On Sun, Jun 18, 2017 at 10:26 AM, Pantxo <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Please write your answers at the bottom of quoted messages (bottom posting),
> it is the custom on this list.
>
> Octave can be made to execute a function periodically: see
> "add_input_event_hook". With this function you can probably fake a server
> client communication from a single instance of Octave.
>
> Pantxo

Thanks Pantxo.

I'll try to bottom post any future communication.

And will investigate add_input_event_hook.

So i guess the idea would be to write first write function which
checks a well-known location in the file system, reads and deletes
what's there, and responds accordingly.  Then i would schedule that
function with add_input_event_hook.  Maybe could even put the code to
do all this in my init file, and have a lock in it somewhere so that
only the first octave i run will actually do the checking.

We'll see!

Thanks again everybody for all your help!!! :)

dan

(Pantxo -- sorry for sending this twice to you!! Very poor gmail
skills on my part.)