Re: newby q: cannot install control package

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: Re: newby q: cannot install control package
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2017 14:28:34 -0800 (PST)

belvin wrote
> Greetings from a Matlab refugee,
>
> Longtime Matlab user, I have just shifted to Octave (to save $ at a small
> company I just joined).
>
> First, I downloaded Octave 4.0.3 to my laptop, 64-bit Windows 10 Toshiba.
> This installed perfectly.
>
> Second, I attempted to install the control package, several ways, with no
> success.  My error messages are shown below:
>
> First method
> ============
>
>>> pkg install -forge control
> error: get_forge_pkg: could not read URL, please verify internet
> connection
> error: called from
>     get_forge_pkg at line 77 column 7
>     get_forge_download at line 26 column 12
>     pkg at line 393 column 29
>>>

> Second method
> =============
>
>>> pkg install control-3.0.0.tar.gz
> make: C:/Program: Command not found

This shows that somehow you've installed Octave in a subdir with a name
containing spaces.
I figured the installer wouldn't let you do that but you seem to have
managed to fool the system :-)

The interesting thing is that AFAIK the control package is included with the
windows installer, so getting or downloading it wasn't required in the first
place.
All you had to do was type "pkg load control" in the terminal.  But I know,
that isn't obvious. There is an entry for that (to clarify what users need
to do) on the patch or bug tracker.

Anyway, I'd advise to download octave-4.2.0.  V.4.0.3 is now outdated.

Philip