Re: Detected XLS interfaces: error: '__chk_java_sprt__' undefined

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: Re: Detected XLS interfaces: error: '__chk_java_sprt__' undefined
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2017 14:19:26 -0800 (PST)

Lord Kelvin wrote
> Dear Philip thanks a lot for your help!
>
> I did what you asked and:
> After the installation no message, just cursor coming back there following
> line as usual.
> After load everything fine, no msg and cursor back next line as usual.
>
> BUT when I run the code I have now a different error:
>
> Detected XLS interfaces: None.
>
> 1st point: Do you think we sorted out the first (original) issue at this
> point?

Looks like it but w/o more info I can' tell.

> 2nd point: What is going on now :)

Simple, there's no . xls I/O support (though there is .xlsx I/O support. A
subtle but vital difference.)
To get that you need add-on SW in the form of one or more of

- MS-Office + windows package (try: "pkg load windows" if you got MS-Office
& Excel installed)

- A Java JRE + LibreOffice or OpenOffice.org

- A Java JRE + java class libs for spreadsheet I/O.

It's described in concise form in "help xlsread" or in the manual in the io
package directory in subdir doc (READ-XLS.html).  Or in the wiki
(http://wiki.octave.org/IO_package), see esp.
http://wiki.octave.org/IO_package#Required_support_software_2

You'd best put the Java class libs (choose one from the options on the wiki)
in a subdir Java in your HOME dir, i.e.,
C:\Users\<your_name>\java
and when loading the io package it should work automatically.

Philip