Re: database connection fails

From: Olaf Till
Subject: Re: database connection fails
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2017 12:05:55 +0100

On Thu, Jan 05, 2017 at 09:33:59AM +0100, Karen Kuhn wrote:
> >On Tue, Jan 03, 2017 at 11:53:07AM +0100, Karen Kuhn wrote:
> >>Hi all,
> >>
> >>I tried to connect to a test database via
> >>
> >>conn = pq_connect(setdbopts("host", "localhost","port", "5432","dbname",
> >>"testdb", "user", "superx", "password", ""))
> >>
> >>and get the error:
> >>
> >>error: octave_pq_get_postgres_oid: could not convert given type tostring
> >>error: could not read types
> >>error: __pq_connect__ failed
> >>error: called from:
> >>error:   /usr/share/octave/packages/database-2.4.2/pq_connect.m atline 112,
> >>column 8
> >> <snip>
> >>I'm working on a Debian 8.6 machine with octave 3.8.2 and postgresql 9.4.9.
> >>I installed the packages struct 1.0.14 and database 2.4.2 without any
> >>problem report via: <snip>

I reproduced this with Octave 3.8.2. Checking with newer Octave
versions, I even get segfaults at module load time. I suspect this is
related, some corruption probably happens at load time. This will get
difficult to debug. Feel free to submit a report to the bug
tracker. Maybe I'll even do this myself, if I should get stuck.

I don't know how this has escaped my testing, maybe because it's not
well reproducible, maybe because I only tested the build process for
the last release. The last release should only have changed build
issues. With version 2.4.1 (also available at the Octave Forge
website) I didn't see these problems, but chance could have played a
role there, due to bad reproducibility.

Sorry for the problems, I'll tackle this as a high priority task.

Olaf