Re: Order of matrix multiplication

From: Yu Liu
Subject: Re: Order of matrix multiplication
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2016 11:59:13 -0700

FYI, numpy has a special function np.linalg.multi_dot to do this. https://github.com/numpy/numpy/blob/b91e8d8f164731bb710cc1e5173cc8ec3f8fadf5/numpy/linalg/linalg.py
Their code has very detailed explanation of the well-known algorithm.

On Mon, Sep 12, 2016 at 10:10 AM, Nicholas Jankowski <address@hidden> wrote:

On Mon, Sep 12, 2016 at 1:06 PM, Nicholas Jankowski <address@hidden> wrote:
On Mon, Sep 12, 2016 at 9:05 AM, Bernardo Sulzbach <address@hidden> wrote:

<snip>
So mtimes definitely has the ability to be enhanced with better decision making for nargin>2. Would just require someone with the time and effort to implement:
 if (nargin >2) {do something smart} endif

just to add, I believe there is a current thought to focus post-"4.2 release" on performance enhancement. This could be an interesting small project toward that goal. I would imagine an speed optimized mtimes function could be used in a number of other functions as well, so that 'small' project could have large dividends.

Maybe worth making a 'feature request' on the bug or patch tracker so that it doesn't disappear into the mailing list netherworld?