Re: octave_idx_type and fortran

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: octave_idx_type and fortran
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2016 11:10:40 -0700

Please quote and reply inline on this mailing list as I asked before.

On Mon, Jul 25, 2016 at 17:42:03 +0000, Miller, Herbert D (IS) wrote:
> What you mentioned is possible?  I built with a 4.9.3 that was part of
> a GNAT installation.  Do I need to add something to LD_LIBRARY_PATH,
> or do I need to make a soft link?

There are several ways to do so, including overwriting system symbolic
links (probably a good way to break other things on your system),
configuring ld.so.conf (may be safe, may break other things), or setting
LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

I am surprised that your installation did not address any of these
crucial changes.

> How do I tell if either of these are GLIBCXX_3.4.15 or GLIBCXX_3.4.20,
> and how can I be sure that Octave can finds them? ... and how can I
> Octave library need both of them?

This is basic dynamic library versioning, there are many resources on
the web to help answer questions like these, nothing specific to Octave
here.

For libstdc++, the last number of the version string corresponds to the
last number of the so version. So GLIBCXX_3.4.20 is the version string
corresponding to changes in libstdc++.so.6.0.20. If you have a program
that requires a GLIBCXX_3.4.20 versioned symbol, then you must load
libstdc++.so.6.0.20 or later to be able to run it.

--
mike