Re: Printing and Exporting scatter3

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Printing and Exporting scatter3
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2016 16:18:13 -0700

On Tue, Jun 14, 2016 at 08:46:58 -0400, Stephen H. Dawson wrote:
> Thanks, Mike.
>
> I tried printing from command window. I realized I needed to install
> epstk. I have now installed and loaded epstk even though it is not
> showing in pkg list

What are you using from epstk? Nothing you've shown here so far needs
it.

But assuming you do need it, it's not a "package" in the sense that
Octave's pkg command knows about. The Debian package octave-epstk just
installs a bunch of m-files into your site path so they can just be run.

> The GUI, though experimental, exports and prints the gray bars at the
> top and bottom...the menu and status bars. I realize I am not on the
> latest release so this may have been resolved.

I don't know, I've never seen any Octave printed figures that include
the menu or status bars. Maybe you are using some other method to export
a figure to an image that is really just taking a screen capture.
Octave's print command doesn't do that, though.

> These syntax examples do generate output.
>
> print -djpg figure_name.jpg
>
> print -solid figure_name.pdf
>

> saveas (1, "figure_name.png");
>
> saveas (1, "figure_name.jgp");
>
> saveas (1, "figure_name.eps");
>

> However, there are no grid lines on the Z axis contrary to the file
> example you shared.

I don't know why that is, possibly a bug that has been fixed, or
possibly the versions of OpenGL and/or gl2ps on your system.

> Also, the title is not wrapping when printing or exporting but does when
> rendered on screen.
>
> title ({'TOP TITLE', 'Bottom Title'},"fontweight", "bold");

This feature does not work in Octave up to and including 4.0, but is
implemented on the development branch for a future 4.2 release of
Octave.

--
mike