Re: How to install Octave 4.0.1 on OS X Yosemite

From: Simone Deparis
Subject: Re: How to install Octave 4.0.1 on OS X Yosemite
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2016 10:48:07 +0200

Dear Sebastian,

I really appreciate all the efforts you are doing. Thank you

In any event, I also experienced an unexpected lack of “enthusiasm”. Mostly
because the Mac OS X users in Octave’s community are happy with homebrew, fink,
or macpots.. However, I’ve come to expect there are a large number of potential
user for an app-bundle who are students with short term needs and are not privy
the the octave community. I expect a reliable app-bundle would get a lot of use
and would bring a lot of value, and would like to offer encouragement for your
continued effort.
Thanks.

Personally, I am used to macport. However, I agree that a bundle is very welcome, in particular for students: If I can just say "download and install the bundle" the students will be able to start working with Octave right away.

You find my files here:

https://github.com/schoeps/octave_installer

You need only to download the script "install_octave.sh". If you run it locally
it installs everything necessary underneath /Application/Octave.app (or any other
directory that you choose). It will not mess with your current macports or whatever, see
below. If you find a bug, please mail me or use Github's bugtracker. What do you think?

I am going to test the boundle compilation on two machines: the one were your bundle works, and the one where it crashes.

Two questions, please:
- what is the CAPTCHA for creating a user on wiki.org?
- should I compile the dev version of octave ? (2nd question of the script)

Best regards
Simone

Sebastian