Re: file encodings (was: wrapToPi function)

From: Nicholas Jankowski
Subject: Re: file encodings (was: wrapToPi function)
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2015 10:20:23 -0500

On Wed, Dec 9, 2015 at 9:35 AM, Mike Miller <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 08, 2015 at 17:41:07 -0500, Nicholas Jankowski wrote:
>> I've been using SciTE since it was bundled with Octave way back when.
>> It's supposed to Autodetect UTF if it starts with a correct BOM. This
>> is the first time I've had it incorrectly autodetect unicode. Usually
>> Firefox on windows keeps autodetecting encoding to 'Western' no matter
>> how many times I try to set it otherwise. but I was surprised to see
>> it carry through to the editor.
>
> So does SciTE *not* detect UTF-8 properly if there is no BOM? Because
> the BOM is typically discouraged, on non-Windows systems at least.

Apparently not. I forced it to UTF and it displayed fine. According to
the documentation: "SciTE will automatically detect the encoding
scheme used for Unicode files that start with a Byte Order Mark
(BOM)..."  Just to check I resaved his original file with 'UTF8 with
BOM' selected, and now it detects just fine in both SciTE and Firefox.
*shrug*

>> Anyway,Mike, a side note:  the Octave Windows gui editor
>> is set by default to EOL mode "Windows (CRLF)".  Again, being
>> unfamiliar with the implications, will that cause problems for
>> contributed code? would just switching it to linux (LF) cause problems
>> for code I save/run locally?
>
> It's easy enough to run fromdos on my end if I get a patch in CRLF
> format. Working in LF format should not cause any problems for you (only
> Notepad has a problem with LF files I think), and will make your work
> more compatible with the majority of us devs ;)

Worth changing the default option in the editor for the next build?