Re: Print Plot Results in all Black plot in file

From: Thomas D. Dean
Subject: Re: Print Plot Results in all Black plot in file
Date: Mon, 03 Aug 2015 22:41:49 -0700

On 08/03/15 16:33, Markus Appel wrote:
On 08/04/2015 12:40 AM, Mike Miller wrote:
On Mon, Aug 3, 2015 at 15:34:22 -0700, Thomas D. Dean wrote:
When I open sin.png with eog, the axis labels are OK, but, the
plot is just a black square.

I have something set wrong, but, what?

Nope, it's

G N U P L O T Version 5.1 patchlevel 0    last modified
2015-07-11

It's a known bug, see http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?42838.

I don't remember if there's a viable patch on that bug report yet
or what the status is.

You can downgrade to gnuplot 4, that works for me. Or use the
other toolkits if you can.

I have had this 'black-squares-over-my-plots'-problem as well for some
time, but could not find the time and motivation (yet) to get to the
bottom of it.
As workaround for the time being I suggest trying -dpngcairo or
-dpdfcairo as print terminal, works for me.

I am struggling thru the code for print.

Is there a global value that can be set to control the output of print.

octave:> z=1:.1:pi;
octave:> plot(z,sin(z));
octave:> print("sin.png","-dpngcairo");

works.

Without -dpngcairo opts.devopt gets set to "-dpng" and print produces a black square.

It looks like the opts structure is passed to gnuplot in __gnuplot_print__.m. As a work-around, I patched this file to force pngcairo. Not a solution, just makes lots of scripts work, again.

I don't see any global mechanism to set a default print device.

True?

Tom Dean