print produces strange results (4.0.0-rc2, Win7)

From: Martin Kunz
Subject: print produces strange results (4.0.0-rc2, Win7)
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2015 13:51:01 +0200

Hi everyone,

I am using Octave 4.0.0-rc2 (downloaded from
ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/octave)underWindows 7bit and have trouble with
printing figures. For plotting I use the Qt toolkit which I like for its
speed.
The attached script creates 3 rather simple figures and saves them to
PNG, PDF and SVG. The resulting files are attached, as well as
screenshots of the figure windows. The latter look all fine, even the
Omega is printed correctly. However, all of the files have issues.
Figure 1 has no bottom axis and in the PDF the top axis is strange;
viewed by Acrobat Reader, it is invisible at some zoom levels and
appears as a double line in close-up. Furthermore, a subtle problem that
I am facing often is apparent in all three files: The noise of the curve
is exaggerated because line joins are drawn sharp, not rounded. This can
be tested by opening the SVG in Inkscape, ungrouping the figure until
the line sections are selectable and then changing the line join style
from "miter" to "rounded".
Figure 2 consists only of axes labels and tick labels in all three
formats. Axes, tick marks and curves are completely missing
Figure 3 has nice axes and labels, but the curve is totally screwed: It
is intersected many times and has a lot of straight lines connecting the
first point to points on the curve.

The Greek Omega appears as "Omega" in the PDF and PNG files and as
"\Omega" in the SVGs.

Am I doing something wrong here? Or should I post all this on the bug
tracker (in one or several reports?)? Does "print" work for others under
Windows 7?

Thanks for any help,
Martin