Re: Octave 3.8.2 IO corrupting and locking files after creation

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: Octave 3.8.2 IO corrupting and locking files after creation
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2015 13:10:11 -0700 (PDT)

adt992 wrote
> Hi Tatsuro,
>
> After getting used to the forum I found the thread in your last pot and
> implemented what you recommended and it worked successfully. Apparently
> I'm using UNO with Libre Office now. Is this because Java is no longer
> installed and Libre is the default XLS interface? I'm just trying to gain
> an understanding of how this change was made, I don't recall any steps
> that required me to set up an environment variable for libre.

Without Java you'll have no UNO interface support. So apparently you must
have Java installed somehow.

You could run:

chk_spreadsheet_support ('', 2)   ## Note: that's two consecutive quotes !

which will tell you if Java is supported and which spreadhsheet I/O
interfaces are supported.

> Another question, I haven't been able to find a clear answer but do I
> manually load the IO pkg every time I restart octave?

No you don't. Just run:

pkg rebuild -auto <names of all packages you want to be autoloaded>

so for just io you'd do:

pkg rebuild -auto io

Philip