Re: Octave: plot options.

From: Andreas Weber
Subject: Re: Octave: plot options.
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2014 09:01:35 +0100

Hi Constantine, please keep the help mailinglist in CC so others also
can help you. And please use bottom or interleaved reply style.

Am 18.12.2014 um 15:25 schrieb Constantine Frangos:
> Thanks for the fast response. I am using Debian Linux 6 ("Squeeze") and
> Octave 3.2.4 is the version that installs by default. I want to keep this
> installation intact for safety reasons.
>
> If I use the command: apt-get install octave, then I think that this will
> overwrite the existing octave installation.
>
> I had a look at http://wiki.octave.org/Debian but the instructions there
> are not so easy to understand.
>
> Any assistance with the following will be appreciated:
>
> (1) What are the steps to install the newest version of Octave plus
> toolboxes in a separate directory, eg. /home/apps/octave4.0 using
> apt-get ... etc ? Or must this be done somehow manually ?

I think the easiest way is to configure with a prefix and compile Octave
3.8.2 from source.

http://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_Debian_systems

Basically you have to install the dependencies (see link above), get the
tarball from ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/octave/
./configure --prefix=~/octave-3.8.2
make, make install

-- Andy