Handling variable number of output arguments in multi-level function cal

From: Jose
Subject: Handling variable number of output arguments in multi-level function calls
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2014 14:02:53 +0200

Dear community.

I often face the situation in which a function (say f1) calls another function internally (say f2) whose number of outputs depends on the number of outputs requested from the upper calling function f1. Something like this
--->
function [o1,o2]=f1(varargin)
  if nargout==1
    [o1]=f2(varargin{:});
  elseif nargout==2
    [o1,o2]=f2(varargin{:});
  endif
endfunction
<---
This example shows how I am handling the problem of calling f2 with the right number of output arguments. I suspect that this is something that other users also face often, and I also suspect that there might be a better way to handle this (one can imagine easily how the code gets cluttered in case there are many output arguments).

Does somebody know a more elegant (and perhaps more efficient?) way to handle this?

Thanks in advance and kind regards,
José