Re: Handling variable number of output arguments in multi-level function

From: Jose
Subject: Re: Handling variable number of output arguments in multi-level function calls
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2014 14:44:26 +0200

Hello Philip, thanks for the answer.

On 12/12/14 14:21, Philip Nienhuis wrote:

AFAIK nargout is the most suitable way to deal with output depending on the
number of requested output args.

Yes, that seems to be the case. I have just found
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4895556/how-to-wrap-a-function-using-varargin-and-varargout
with an example of how to do it.

As a side-note, I think there is a small Matlab/Octave compatibility issue here. Following the solution provided by SCFrench (who works for The MathWorks) I do the following test in Octave:
--->
octave:75> function varargout = wrapper( varargin )
> [varargout{1:nargout}] = sin( varargin{:} );
> endfunction
octave:76> wrapper(0)
octave:77> a=wrapper(0)
a = 0
octave:78> sin(0)
ans = 0
<---
So I guess this solution does not work in Octave as in Matlab when the outer-most function is called with no output arguments. I cannot double-check in Matlab, as I do not have it. Can somebody please confirm? If so I can then file a report.

Regards,
José.