Re: EDITOR COMMAND ISSUE

From: Torsten
Subject: Re: EDITOR COMMAND ISSUE
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2014 09:11:48 +0100

On 21.11.2014 22:43, Doug Stewart wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 3:28 PM, ESMERALDA PODA <address@hidden
> <mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:
>
>     To the attention of Octave members,
>
>      I am trying to work on Octave, particularly with the Editor window,
>     and I am not allowed to go any further because numbers are
>     highlighted in red, and if I run the script, it gives me 'error:
>     'newfile' undefined near line 1 column 1'. I searched for solutions,
>     but did not get to fix this thing.
>     Attached you find as it appears the editor window.
>     Please, tell me what I am doing wrong.
>     Thank you for your time and attention.
>     I cannot wait to hearing from you!
>

>     Kind regards
>     Esmeralda Poda
>
> did you save your editor file and give it an extension   .m   ????
> It should be saved to your PWD

The syntax highlighting of files without extension is discussed in bug
report #43572 (https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?43572) and I am already
working on a patch to fix this issue.

How do you try to run the file? The related "run"-action should be
disabled in the editor for files without .m-extension and entering the
filename into the console (with or without gui) gives you the error you
mentioned in your post. Using the extension .m as proposed by Doug
should give you correct syntax highlighting and makes the skript runnable.

Torsten