Re: mxe octave installer & java

From: Markus Bergholz
Subject: Re: mxe octave installer & java
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2014 21:08:07 +0200

On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 1:13 PM, Philip Nienhuis <address@hidden> wrote:
Lutz Kohlrausch wrote
> A big thank you to whoever provides the windows installer at
> mxeoctave.osuv.de
>
> The octave build there had java support compiled in up to at least
> version 3.8.1-2.
>
> Since at least version 3.8.1-4, java support is missing from these
> builds.
>
> I need java support so I was wondering what happened and if I could
> do something to help.
>
> Thanks to the excellent build instructions at
> http://wiki.octave.org/Windows_Installer (linked from
> http://mxeoctave.osuv.de/README.html ) I was able to recreate the
> installer myself on a Ubuntu system.
>
> The only minor glitch was that, apparently, NASA has recently updated
> the cfitsio package without changing the version number.  This led to
> an invalid checksum error, which I could fix by issuing
>
> make update-checksum-cfitsio
>
> I gave the ./configure command an explicit "--enable-java" argument.
> Not sure if this is needed, as the help states that it is enabled by
> default.
>
> The resulting octave for windows has working java support.  So it is
> not a general issue for octave on windows, I am glad, but something
> is missing on the build machine used to create the installers at
> mxeoctave.osuv.de.  I hope I can call the attention of the volunteer
> who provides these builds to this issue with this message, so that
> it gets fixed.
>
> Thanks for octave and thanks for the windows installer.

The binaries at mxeoctave.osuv.de are "unofficial" builds, generously
supplied by a volunteer. The status of the "official" installer is still
unclear.
As often in OSS it is at the discretion of the volunteer who jumps in to
decide what to include in some piece of SW and what not. In this case, I
think the one who runs mxeoctave.osuv.de doesn't care a lot for Java.

Always funny to read.
At least, I even don't care about Windows too. Furthermore, the builds are made on a plain minimal ubuntu 14.04 machine. there are only the packages installed which are listed in the wiki.

It is good to know that other people can (cross-) build Octave for Windows
as well, and that the build instructions are sufficiently clear.

Thanks

Philip