mxe octave installer & java

From: Lutz Kohlrausch
Subject: mxe octave installer & java
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2014 14:31:04 +0200

A big thank you to whoever provides the windows installer at
mxeoctave.osuv.de

The octave build there had java support compiled in up to at least
version 3.8.1-2.

Since at least version 3.8.1-4, java support is missing from these
builds.

I need java support so I was wondering what happened and if I could
do something to help.

Thanks to the excellent build instructions at
http://wiki.octave.org/Windows_Installer (linked from
http://mxeoctave.osuv.de/README.html ) I was able to recreate the
installer myself on a Ubuntu system.

The only minor glitch was that, apparently, NASA has recently updated
the cfitsio package without changing the version number.  This led to
an invalid checksum error, which I could fix by issuing

make update-checksum-cfitsio

I gave the ./configure command an explicit "--enable-java" argument.
Not sure if this is needed, as the help states that it is enabled by
default.

The resulting octave for windows has working java support.  So it is
not a general issue for octave on windows, I am glad, but something
is missing on the build machine used to create the installers at
mxeoctave.osuv.de.  I hope I can call the attention of the volunteer
who provides these builds to this issue with this message, so that
it gets fixed.

Thanks for octave and thanks for the windows installer.