Re: installing java and apache for using spreadsheet I/O

From: Markus Bergholz
Subject: Re: installing java and apache for using spreadsheet I/O
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2014 17:46:39 +0200

Am 17.06.2014 16:21 schrieb "rcharan51" <address@hidden>:

> I am using excel2007
> Someone please help  me how to get octave read and write excel on any
> windows OS using any Octave version

First, if you're using 3.6.x, you should use io <=1.2.5
When you're switching octave versions, you should reinstall io packages too.

If we're
talking about .xlsx, io package >=2.2.0 is able to read/write this format.
Just for .xls files (old binary default from office 2003) you need java or ms Excel backings.

You should be able to force the usage of the different drivers too.

xlsread('file.xlsx',1, [], 'OCT'); % for io >= 1.2.5, no Java needed, but work only with xlsx files

xlsread('file.xls',1, [], 'COM'); % using excel itself...hopefully available

The best way is to convert or save your .xls files to .xlsx files. This should work pretty well for reading/writing with the current io package Version.

Cheers, Markus