Re: FFT spectrum analyzer question

From: Macy
Subject: Re: FFT spectrum analyzer question
Date: Sun, 18 May 2014 06:27:12 -0700

Did a search and found pwelch() resident to my installation and recreated the
example shown in the instructions. Wow, impressive, although I can't account
for the 'lump' on the high side of the passband, thought it should have been
more symmentrical.

Thanks for pointing out that function because in that function I also found
filtering functions! did not know how to use until was forced to. I had been
writing out the polynomial of any filter and using that and sometimes it's not
so easy to get the polynomial. Then, I would use my own functions to filter IN
the frequency band. One advanatage for me, I could 'comb' filter out the
signal(s) and then monitor just the noise floor. Probably do same using
existing functions, but didn't see it.

Interestingly, the pwelch function requires very few data points to derive the
plot's passband. Especially as the attenuation went down to obliviou [-120dB].
My technique perfectly overlayed, but with only 4096 points did not go down as
far, went down to around -60dB, and even using 2^17 points went down to only
-75dB to -80dB, where my plots then go flat, but the two overlay perfectly.
Scaling with these functions looked like it would be difficult to keep track
of, but then again only been using for the first time for a very short time,
considering complexity, not bad. To get proper scaling seems a bit daunting,
but I'll try some other things. Like, signals with embedded noise to see what I
get.

There's pwelch, filter, and cheby1, must be more, will look around in the
'signal' folder.

Regards,
Robert