Re: Problem installing Packages

From: Andy Buckle
Subject: Re: Problem installing Packages
Date: Wed, 14 May 2014 13:23:24 +0100

On 14 May 2014 10:47, push_back <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello,

I tried today to install Octave on Windows XP (Version 3.8.0) and it worked
fine... however, when I try to install the Forge packages, I get an error. I
would like to use the tf function from the control package...

I type into the command window *pkg install -forge general* and get the
following error message:

pkg: error running `make' for the general package.
error: called from 'configure_make' in file
D:\Octave\Octave-3.8.0\share\octave\3.8.0\m\pkg\private\configure_make.m
near l
ine 82, column 9
error: called from:
error:   D:\Octave\Octave-3.8.0\share\octave\3.8.0\m\pkg\private\install.m
at line 199, column 5
error:   D:\Octave\Octave-3.8.0\share\octave\3.8.0\m\pkg\pkg.m at line 394,
column 9

I get the same error if I try to execute the package installation script
with *build_packages* (current working directory is set correctly) or if I
just try to install the control package only with *pkg install
control-2.6.2.tar.gz*.

How can I fix this problem? I really need this package, so any help is
appreciated.

pb

Installing packages often involves compiling. This is trickier on Windows.

It's probably been done for you (depending which package you want)

eg this installer comes with lots of packages

http://sourceforge.net/projects/octave/files/Octave%20Windows%20binaries/Octave%203.6.4%20for%20Windows%20Microsoft%20Visual%20Studio/

be sure to read the notes about auto-loading of packages on that page.

--
/* andy buckle */