Special|backslash (\) characters are not interpreted when printing to PD

From: tomdylan
Subject: Special|backslash (\) characters are not interpreted when printing to PDF
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2014 23:57:31 -0700 (PDT)

I want to save results from my computations:

figure(iH)
                  subplot(3,2,iv);
                  plot((1-press(:,nstep)/gamma/dh),x(1:2:nnode)/H,
'k-','linewidth', 2); hold on;
%   further plot commands
                  grid on; %box on;
                  xlabel('dp/({\gamma}dh) [-]','fontsize',11, 'fontangle',
'italic');
                  ylabel('depth/H [-]','fontsize',11, 'fontangle',
'italic');
                  title(['dh/H=',num2str(dh/H),';  v/k=',num2str(v_k),'; B=0
- 1'],...
                  'fontsize',12, 'fontangle', 'italic');%  ,'position', [0.5
.95])
%               sizefig(1146,888);% DIN A4 bei 72 dpi
                  xlim([0 1])    % set limits
                  ylim([ 0 1])    % set limits

as a PDF for insertion into a report.

However the backslash codes are not converted into the corresponding fonts
(greek letters, subscripts etc.):

sufx2.pdf <http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/file/n4663738/sufx2.pdf>

It looks like octave needed some links to some PDF-fonts in order to
correctly interpret the backslash codes. I am sure that octave permits a
quit high level printing.

Any hints on how to make octave print PDF correctly warmla appreciated!

Any hints
any clues

-----
A numerical poem:
Now the fifth daughter on the twelfth night
Told the first father that things weren’t right
My complexion she said is much too white
He said come here and step into the light, he says hmm you’re right
Let me tell the second mother this has been done
But the second mother was with the seventh son
And they were both out on Highway 61
("Highway 61" by Robert Zimmerman 1964)