Re: Special|backslash (\) characters are not interpreted when printing t

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Special|backslash (\) characters are not interpreted when printing to PDF
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2014 09:47:46 -0400

On Apr 28, 2014, at 9:25 AM, tomdylan <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi Ben,
>
> thanks you for replying even at late Sunday afternoon!
>
> I am again on a WIN7 machine and, in deed, at the command level of Octave's
> prompt
> system ('gnuplot') yields information about gnuplot ("system ('which
> gnuplot')" yielded problems since "which" >was not accepted as argument)
>
> G N U P L O T
>        Version 4.6 patchlevel 4    last modified 2013-10-02
>        Build System: MS-Windows 32 bit
>
>        Copyright (C) 1986-1993, 1998, 2004, 2007-2013
>        Thomas Williams, Colin Kelley and many others
>
>        gnuplot home:     http://www.gnuplot.info
>        faq, bugs, etc:   type "help FAQ"
>        immediate help:   type "help"  (plot window: hit 'h')
>
> I  ran my programme and now no problems with popen2 popped up and the octave
> windows appeared however with some differences than before.
> Now the special characters are interpreted (/gamma yields the greek
> character, see the attached file). however the arrangement of the subplots
> has suffered a bit, for example :
>
> the plots titles overwrite the axis labels ,

This is a problem with how gnuplot works.  You could try changing the

set (findall (gcf (), "-property", "activepositionproperty"),
"activepositionproperty", "position")

This improves the

> the "'fontangle', 'italic'" command is not considered at all.
> But what is really a drag: "hold on" is not considered though the plot
> command is in a loop and should print 3 black, 3 green and 3 red lines on
> the subplots:

"hold on" works for me.  Can you create a simple example that demonstrates the
problem?

> In the default graphics_toolkit() fltk-mode everything worked out fine, with
> exception of the transfer to PDF/EMF.
>
> Is there any workaround to print vector graphics (EMF would be even better
> than PDF) in the fltk-mode?

EMF is supported by Gnuplot.  EMF support for FLTK requires that TransFig be
installed.

        http://xfig.org/userman/installation.html#install-xfigwin

Alternatively, you can create an EPS file and then convert it to EMF or some
other format by  using pstoedit.

        http://www.pstoedit.net/pstoedit

> I could imagine I am not the first one to require such an output device...
> Will the fltk-mode be upgraded to "full" functionality in the next version?

There has been some work done on this, but my understanding is that there
remains a lot of work to do and at present I don't think the TeX stuff is being
actively developed (we need a volunteer).

> If not, must I use gnuplot commands (pagesize, flip, origin, rotate etc. )
> in octave?

No.  Octave does not support entering gnuplot commands from its prompt.

> Is there a manual or some templates about octave graphical output based on
> gnuplot?

Octave's plotting commands are independent of the toolkit being used.

Ben