Re: maybe (?) dumb question ...

From: Ozzy Lash
Subject: Re: maybe (?) dumb question ...
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2014 15:47:57 -0500

On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 2:58 PM, James Sherman Jr. <address@hidden> wrote:
On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 3:42 PM, Dr. Ing. Dieter Jurzitza <address@hidden> wrote:
Dear listmembers,
say, I would like to open a file within a certain directory I am in. So I
start typing (in the "octave" window)

infile=fopen("<TAB-key>

because, for some dumb reason, I forgot the name of the file (and, let me tell
you, this issue becomes more and more serious the older one becomes ;-)).

Now, what I had had expected is to get a list of the files in the current
directory (as everything else would make no sense in this specific case).

But, instead, though there may be only say 20 files in total within that
directory I get

octave:5> infile=fopen("
Display all 1644 possibilities? (y or n)

what definitively makes no sense at all (to me ...). Well, I hear you say,
you'd better typed "ls" prior to start typing the command as such, but here I
am now. And I am lazy and I do not want to delete the command I just started
typing. I had had expected to get nothing but a list of files in the current
directory as this is the most probable intention (for me ...) when pressing
the TAB key assuming the described situation.

Am I doing something wrong here? Is this behaviour expected, or, I'd better
say, is it intended?

Thank you very much for looking into this,
take care

Dieter Jurzitza

                                \
                 /\_/\           |

if you really want to see the pictures above - use some font
with constant spacing like courier! :-)

Hello,

As far as I know, the tab key is not context sensitive. So I believe that the the 1644 are all the commands that are in the file path?  At least that is my best guess.  I believe that tab-completion is a bit smarter on linux/apple machines, but is pretty naive on windows.  I could be wrong about that.

James Sherman