Re: default.exe... my computer doesn't like it :)

From: Nicholas Jankowski
Subject: Re: default.exe... my computer doesn't like it :)
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2014 15:35:35 -0400

On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 1:33 PM, Nicholas Jankowski <address@hidden> wrote:
oh... we all have :)

I must say, this is actually one of the more entertaining things (in a sad, pathetic sort of way) I've run into with Windows in quite some time.

On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 1:22 PM, Markus Bergholz <address@hidden> wrote:

On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 5:27 PM, Nicholas Jankowski <address@hidden> wrote:

Just for kicks I created an empty text file there, renamed it to default.exe.  PC was then fighting any attempt I made to modify and delete that file.  Admin delete killed it, but windows even threw an access denied error that time.

(running McAffee VS Enterprise.

I hope you've spent tons of money for McAfee to perform a name-based virus detection.

just to add to the offtopic pile of 'windows is stupid'...

I can create a text file. I can rename it, delete it, whatever. if i rename it from .txt to .exe, suddenly there's an access control problem. can't delete it with the user or admin account. (deleting it from user account gives a UAC prompt to escalate to admin.  deleting it from admin gives a prompt saying i need permission from the user...)

but... if I open a command prompt, I can delete it from either user or admin, no issues.  quite entertaining. what that doesn't do, however, is let me pull the default.exe file out of either zip and put it in the right place. i tried just pulling the file out with 7za and got the permission error. assume the same would happen with command line on the zip file.

last - does anyone know how to google search for "default.exe" without getting results for "default exe"?

it shouldn't be this hard...