question about xlabel/ylabel position in octave with AquaTerm

From: Philippe Piot
Subject: question about xlabel/ylabel position in octave with AquaTerm
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 04:08:20 -0600

Dear All,
  I am using octave 3.6.4 on OS 10.8 with AquaTerm. In some of my plot
invoking xlabel (or ylabel), the text from xlabel/ylabel overlaps with
the axis (numerical) labels. I therefore tried to, e.g., shift the
xlabel lower so it does not overlap. I try relocating the xlabel and
ylabel positions as follows:

plot (x,y);
set (gca,'fontsize',14)
hx=xlabel ('MyXaxis (units)','fontsize',14)
hy=ylabel ('MyYaxis (units)','fontsize',14)
set (hx,'position',[30 280 0]);
set (hy,'position',[-10 300 0]);

The two lines have unfortunately no effects: the x- and y-label stays
at the same locations. I hope somebody could let me know what I am
doing wrong. I however noticed that if I do a
get (hx)
Ithe position is now set the value given in my set command ([30 280 0]]...

Thank you for your help,

                 -- Philippe.