Re: [newbie] constructing a discrete dataset

From: Jean Dubois
Subject: Re: [newbie] constructing a discrete dataset
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2014 19:48:47 +0100

2014-01-29 Juan Pablo Carbajal <address@hidden>:
> On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 5:07 PM, Jean Dubois <address@hidden> wrote:
>> I'd like to generate every possible combination a b c d e f for three
>> possible values (1, 2, 3) of each variable
>> Something which starts like this:
>> 1 1 1 1 1 1
>> 1 1 1 1 1 2
>> 1 1 1 1 1 3
>> 1 1 1 1 2 1
>> 1 1 1 1 2 2
>> 1 1 1 1 2 3
>> 1 1 1 1 3 1
>> 1 1 1 1 3 2
>> 1 1 1 1 3 3
>> 1 1 1 2 1 1
>> 1 1 1 2 1 2
>> 1 1 1 2 1 3
>> 1 1 1 2 2 1
>> 1 1 1 2 2 2
>> 1 1 1 2 2 3
>> 1 1 1 2 3 1
>> 1 1 1 2 3 2
>> 1 1 1 2 3 3
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> Can anyone here suggest how this is best done in octave in a time
>> efficient manner (I suppose nested for-loops are a bad idea)?
>>
>> thanks in advance
>> jean
>
> Check for the "combnk" function in the statistics package.
Thank you very much for the help offered.
I installed the statistics package like this:
apt-get install octave-statistics
but when trying this in octave:
c =combnk(1:4,2)
I seems like octave doesn't find the extra functionality from the
statistics package:
error: `combnk' undefined near line 1 column 4

octave:2> help combnk
error: help: `combnk' not found

I'd first wish to get this working before looking into your other suggestions

kind regards,
jean