Re: Availability of GNU Octave 3.8 on Windows

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: Availability of GNU Octave 3.8 on Windows
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 14:12:20 -0800 (PST)

Please don't top post.

Reply BELOW the mail text.

rf wrote
> Hi Markus,
>
> Thanks for the quick reply. I had Octave 3.6 installed but I uninstalled
> it.
>
> The problem seems to be that there is another libstdc++-6.dll on my
> computer from Tomboy, which uses GTK#. When I try to start Octave with gui
> I get the following error:
>
> "The procedure entry point __gxx_personality_v0 could not be located in
> the
> dynamic link library libstdc++-6.dll"
>
> So when I add the Octave directory (C:\Octave\Octave-3.8.0\bin) to the
> beginning of the path then it seems to find the correct libstdc++-6.dll
> and
> the Octave gui works. But then Tomboy doesn't work any more because it
> finds the Octave libstdc++-6.dll.

What you can do is create a batch file to start Octave, along the lines of:

@echo off
set PATH=\full\path\to\Octave\bin;rest of PATH, optionally cleaned up (throw
Tomboy and other stuff out);
start octave --force-gui
exit

The line "start octave --force-gui" may need to be amended (bin needs to be
first in the PATH); possibly the actual executable octave-gui.exe lives
somewhere in \full\path\to\octave\libexec\... (other people can tell where
exactly).

Philip