Re: Problem with the installation of the optim and econometrics packages

From: JasonNicholson
Subject: Re: Problem with the installation of the optim and econometrics packages
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2013 06:34:29 -0700 (PDT)

The real issue isn't obvious.  I am sorry for your trouble.  The answer to
your question is in the README found here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/octave/files/Octave%20Windows%20binaries/Octave%203.6.4%20for%20Windows%20Microsoft%20Visual%20Studio/

Here is important part of that README:

"Note that octave-forge packages are not installed by default. During the
component selection, expand the section named "Octave Forge" and select the
packages you want to install. Installed packages are not auto-loaded by
default, you still need to load the packages in order to use them (e.g. by
adding the appropriate commands in your octave startup file)."

So here is what you need to do:
1.  Unistall and reinstall Octave 3.6.4 and select the packages you want to
install.
2.  Edit the site wide "octaverc" file located in your octave directory.
Mine is located here:
    "C:\Octave\Octave-3.6.4\share\octave\site\m\startup\octaverc"

    Add these lines to the octaverc file:

addpath('C:\Octave\Octave-3.6.4\share\octave\packages\miscellaneous-1.2.0');
    addpath('C:\Octave\Octave-3.6.4\share\octave\packages\struct-1.0.10');
    addpath('C:\Octave\Octave-3.6.4\share\octave\packages\optim-1.2.2');

You may need to adjust your package path because it may be a different
version or slight variation of what I have.